Our last stop in the morning was in the Parish of St. John the Baptist in Calumpit, Bulacan. We also had our lunch there.
About the church:
Built in 1572, the St. John the Baptist Church is the oldest church in Bulacan. Constructed under the supervision of Augustinian priest Fr. Diego Vivar-Ordoñez, the church had been witness to the Filipino’s struggle against Spanish, American and Japanese rule. Inside the church is a tunnel that, according to history, was used by priests during the Spanish regime to keep gold, religious statues, and ornate jewelry hidden from the sight of treasure hunters. Likewise, it is in this tunnel where revolutionaries and Spaniards were buried during the war. This was also Gen. Tanaka’s (Japanese Imperial Army) last battlefield. [Source]
The facade of the church told us that it was an old church, but when we were inside, we were welcomed by a well-maintained and polished altar set in gold. We didn’t see any sign of wear and tear in the walls and ceilings, and even in the chandeliers.
See it for yourself.